LOWELL CITY COUNCIL
TUESDAY OCTOBER 23, 2012
CITY HALL, CITY COUNCIL CHAMBER
TIME 6:30 PM
1. Minutes of City Council Meeting October 16th, for acceptance.
2. Order of Taking and Acceptance of Canal Street.
UTILITY PUBLIC HEARINGS (Scheduled for 7PM)
3. Underground Conduit – National Grid request to install underground conduit Broadway Lowell, MA.
4. Communication-From City Manager Responses to City Council Motions and Requests.
5. Vote-Approve MOU Inspectors Unit 7/1/10-6/30/12
6. Vote-Execute Crosswalk Easement to UML within Broadway
7. Vote-Supplemental Appropriation ($87,000) Police Dept.
8. Communication: Elizabeth Craveiro, City Treasurer – Presentation of the new online payment system.
REPORTS (Sub/Committee, if any)
9. C. Leahy – City Manager update Council regarding Kearney Square bridge construction project.
10. Misc. – Tony T. Quach request for zoning change 228 Plain Street.
11. Misc. – Elaine Miecakowski request Fulton Street be repaired (new hot top) in Spring of 2013.
12. C. Mercier – Req. City Mgr. outline steps to be taken to reassure Council that new phone lines will function during power outages so as not to interrupt or prevent residents’ emergency calls to police and fire.
13. C. Leahy – Req. City Mgr. provide update regarding replacement of track at Cawley Stadium.
14. C. Leahy – Req. City Mgr. have proper department review the intersection at Twelfth, July and Methuen Streets for a report and recommendation for signage at that intersection.
15. C. Leahy – Req. City Mgr. contact Middlesex Sherriff’s Dept. to coordinate a schedule for the work release program in the Spring and Summer of 2013.
16. C. Lorrey – Req. City Council approve residential parking only on Riverside Way and Lawrence Drive where parking is legally available.
17. C. Lorrey – Req. City Mgr. and City Council plan and adopt a residential parking plan for the Acre and other areas affected by the University expansion.
18. C. Lorrey – Req. City Mgr. contact State delegation and Governor’s Office for additional public safety funds in case of the possible early release of inmates due to the Massachusetts Crime Lab scandal.
19. C. Kennedy/C. Leahy – Req. City Mgr. evaluate & assess the current workforce of inspectors under the supervision of the Building Comm. and make recommendations to the City Council re: Certification and the need to increase Health, Building, Wire, Plumbing and Electrical Inspectors.
20. C. Kennedy/C. Leahy – Req. City Mgr. explore the feasibility of augmenting the current number of inspectors with part-time certified inspectors who will work 20hrs a week.
21. C. Kennedy/C. Leahy – Req. the Greater Lowell Regional Vocational Technical High School Committee and the Superintendent consider offering courses for potential Health, Building, Wire and Plumbing Inspectors that would lead to satisfying the requirement necessary for licensure and/or certification.
22. EXECUTIVE SESSION: Executive session regarding likely litigation with multiple parties, public discussion of which could have a detrimental effect on the City’s current and future position and its ongoing settlement negotiations and second to conduct contract negotiations with non-union personnel, City Auditor.