Agenda for City Council on August 14, 2012, 06:30 PM
LOWELL CITY COUNCIL
TUESDAY AUGUST 14, 2012
CITY HALL, CITY COUNCIL CHAMBER
TIME 6:30 PM
1. Proclamation – Mayor Murphy to recognize “Merrimack Repertory Theatre Week”.
2. Communication – Mayor’s Office on Lowell Prescription Drug Discount Program.
3. Communication – Mayor’s Office on Let’s Move Initiative.
4. Communication – Minutes of City Council Meeting July 24th, for acceptance.
GENERAL PUBLIC HEARINGS (Scheduled for 7PM)
5. Ordinance – Quarterly Traffic July 2012.
6. Ordinance – Implementing FY 13 Budget.
UTILITY PUBLIC HEARINGS (Scheduled for 7PM)
7. Pole Loc. – National Grid – Request to install new pole at 135 Fourth Avenue. (Continued)
8. Communication – From City Manager Responses to City Council Motions and Requests.
9. Communication – From City Manager request approval of Out of State Travel (2) LPD.
10. Vote – Seek proposals for 39 Myrtle St. aka 115 Sixth St (Varnum Elementary School)
11. Vote – Apply/Accept/Expend ($125,000) MassCall 2 Grant (Health Dept)
12. Ordinance – Amend zoning by extending existing UMU (Urban Mixed Use) zoning district to include 251 Mount Vernon Street, 231 Mount Vernon Street, 225 Mount Vernon Street, 294 School Street, 290 School Street, 286 School Street, 590 Broadway Street and 540 Broadway Street.
13. Order – 60 day trial (various)
14. Order of Taking and Acceptance of Richmond Avenue Ext.
15. Vote – Accept gift ($1,500) from The Boston Road Club Inc.
16. Vote – Apply/Accept/Expend Grant ($10,000) Commonwealth of MA
17. Vote – Apply/Accept/Expend Grant (max. $106,400) Council on Aging.
18. Communication – Accept resignation of Nathan Moore (Pollard Memorial Library)
19. Communication – Appoint Ryan P. Gilday to fill the term vacated by resignation of Nathan Moore (Pollard Memorial Library)
20. Communication – Reappoint Steven Gendron and Gerard Frechette- Appoint Joseph Boyle (Planning Board)
21. Communication – Confirm temporary appointments to License Commission (Dennis Teague, Deborah Finch)
REPORTS (Sub/Committee, if any)
22. Claims (2) claims for personal injury and (1) claim for personal and property damage.
23. Misc. – Carmen S. Rivera, Lowell, MA request Handicap Parking Sign.
24. Misc. – Doris Cruz, Lowell, MA request Handicap Parking Sign.
25. Misc. – MaryEllen Marshalsea, Lowell, MA request to speak on eradication or modification of “Responsible Pit Bull Ownership” Ordinance.
26. Misc. Fuel Storage – UMASS Lowell, Donahue Hall, 91 Pawtucket Street Lowell, Ma request storage 550 gls diesel fuel II liquid.
27. Misc. Fuel Storage – UMASS Lowell, Sheehy Hall, 4 Solomont Way Lowell, Ma request storage 550 gls diesel fuel II liquid.
28. C. Mercier – Req. Mgr. provide information from LPD on steps being taken regarding incidents of guns fired through residence property ie: Fernald St., Upham St.
29. C. Mercier – Req. permission to name the (2) tennis courts on the Boylston St. side of Shedd Park in honor of Dennis Krysiak.
30. C. Mercier – Req. Mgr. provide process used to register residents for new parking placards.
31. C. Nuon – Req. Mgr. have the proper department collaborate with the Health Dept on looking into the matter of opiate deaths for the last 2 to 3 years.
32. C. Lorrey – Req. Mgr. have the proper department evaluate the lights at the intersection of Bridge St. and route 110 and report the findings and any recommendations to the city council for review.
33. C. Lorrey – Req. Mgr. have the proper department add Roberto Clemente Park to the list of possible parks for review for a splash pad.
34. C. Lorrey – Req. Mgr. have the police department look into the cost of replacing the police mobile unit.
35. C. Lorrey – Req. Mgr. have the police and the parks and recreation departments evaluate the summer program and report the findings and any recommendations to the city council for review.
36. C. Lorrey – Req. Mgr. have proper department look into possibility of a dog park on the land around Avenue C or other suitable Highland location.
37. C. Elliott – Req. Mgr. address lack of progress on the adoption of new liquor regulations.
38. C. Elliott – Req. Mgr. provide a report on how many properties with 13 or more units that have purchased East Coast Radio Alarm Boxes since they were mandated and how many held out.
39. C. Elliott – Req. Mgr. provide an update on when the telegraph wire fire alarm system will be shut off and how many property owners have yet to switch to a new system.
40. M. Murphy – Req. Mgr. update Council on previously proposed recycling ordinances.
41. M. Murphy – Req. Mgr. have Law Dept. draw up proper vote to apply for Bloomberg Mayoral Challenge.
42. M. Murphy – Req. Mgr. develop Smarter Cities Grant application for upcoming round.
43. M. Murphy – Req. Mgr. develop design challenge for JFK Civic Center Plaza and identify grant opportunities to support its renovation.
44. M. Murphy – Req. Mgr. have Law Dept. draft resolution committing city participation in national Let’s Move initiative.
45. M. Murphy – Req. Mgr. explore potential organization and support of City Olympic Games