Public Road/Construction Projects–Update for Week of July 16 – 20
Note: All work is subject to weather conditions
Rte. 113 Repaving – Milling and repaving work for Rte. 113 between Old Ferry Road and the Tyngsboro line.
· Original plans called for the milling and paving to be done on night shifts however due to the Tyngsboro stretch not receiving approval for night work, this work will now be done days.
· Milling to begin on Monday July 23rd. 8:30AM-4:30PM.
University Avenue Bridge
1. Pawtucket Street (days) – Water line installation requiring full road closure Detour Salem to Merrimack (Monday and Tuesday)
2. Intersection of VFW Highway and University Avenue (days) – Water line installation requiring single lane shifts on both roads (Wednesday – Friday)
3. Pawtucket Street (nights) – National Grid Gas relocation of existing gas line to new bridge (all week)
Preparations for the demolition of the former St. Joseph Hospital have begun. Monday through Friday–7 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.
Starting on Wednesday July 18th Shawmut will closing Salem Street from the Pawtucket Street intersection to the south edge of parking lot A (just North of 282 Salem Street) for the demolition of the west wing of the former St Joseph’s Hospital for a duration of 5± weeks.
A traffic management plan detouring traffic around the Salem/Pawtucket Street intersection via Bowers Street has been created and all signage will be installed and reviewed the City Traffic Engineer prior to the road closing on July 18.
Twenty-two parking spaces for Bowers Street residents as well as the residents at 282 Salem Street will be provided in UML’s parking lot B for the duration of the Salem Street closure.
Demolition of the north end of the west wing (corner of Salem & Pawtucket) will take place during weekends of July 21 and August 4 and will require shutting down the south lane of traffic on Pawtucket Street between Merrimack Street and Salem Street. A traffic management plan that has 2 police details alternating the east & west bound traffic through the one open lane is being developed.
Shawmut has flagged the Folk Festival weekend, July 28, as non-working days for this project.
UMass Lowell University Suites
UML East Campus, 327 Aiken Street
· Contractors will be making water service connections on Perkins Street in the upcoming week. This work should not impede the flow of traffic but will affect parking along the street.
· Additional work includes making sewer connection on Hall Street for the service that will be coming out of the building. Work will include replacement of the pipe to the manhole structure located in the center of the street.
· There will also be concrete trucks entering and leaving the site as concrete placement within the building begins. No trucks will be staged out on the street, so there should be no impact to the traffic.
With the release of state Chapter 90 funds, street and sidewalk projects begun last year and ones planned for this year should be starting up soon. These include:
· Parker Street in the Highlands
· Hildreth and Essex Streets and Aiken Ave. in Centralville
· Floyd and Newhall Streets in Back Central
More info to follow as projects begin
Safe Route to School Project- Final paving expected to be done the first week in August
Hunts Falls Rotary
There are no specifically scheduled days but contractor will be working on punch list items for the next 30 to 45 days, during which time lane closure will be kept to a minimum/as needed
Rourke Bridge repairs—no work scheduled for this week
Henri B. Marchand | Assistant to the City Manager