Shane Graham-Bevis,is an eighth grade student at the Stoklosa School. Shane is a 14 year old boy who was the target of bullying three years ago.
That incident prompted Shane to become a teen advocate against bullying. Since then, he has become involved with a coalition called DR Brand which seeks to teach respect and tolerance. Shane has participated in anti-bullying performances and demonstrations throughout the Commonwealth of Massachusetts in an effort to educate all.
Shane would like to see Lowell become a leader in the anti-bullying movement and has many ideas to share. He is addressing the Lowell City Council this week and is scheduled to address the Lowell School Committee on May 16th.
In addition On May 25th the URBrand New Generation Dance Group will offer a presentation on anti-bullying at the Stoklosa School which will include speakers and performances.
Shane will work with the Lowell High School television studio to develop a Public Service Announcement (PSA).
It is great to see a young person taking a stand and trying to help others!!!
LOWELL CITY COUNCIL
TUESDAY MAY 8, 2012
CITY HALL, CITY COUNCIL CHAMBER
TIME 6:30 PM
1. Minutes of City Council May 1st, Technology & Utilities SC May 1st, for acceptance.
GENERAL PUBLIC HEARINGS (Scheduled for 7PM)
2. Lowell Cemetery Corp. 1020 Lawrence Street Lowell, Ma request storage 1,000 gls gasoline/diesel.
UTILITY PUBLIC HEARINGS (Scheduled for 7PM)
3. Extenet Systems, Inc. – Request to install fiber optic cable and nodes, antenna on poles Bowers St. to Salem St. and Salem St. to Cabot St.
4. Communication – From City Manager Responses to City Council Motions and Requests.
5. Communication – From City Manager request approval of Out of State Travel, (1) Fire.
6. Communication – Appoint Jim Wilde to Historic Board.
7. Vote – Revocation of prior acceptance of MGL Ch. 44, sec. 53F1/2 regarding the Enterprise Fund establishing the Paul E. Tsongas Arena effective 6/30/12.
8. Vote – Transfer and appropriate $27,000 to pay costs associated w/connecting Edwards Field restrooms to City sewer system.
9. Vote – Transfer $160,000 to fund overtime expense in Police Dept.
10. Vote – Transfer and appropriate $4,750 to pay one half of costs of final arena audit and further transfer all remaining funds as of 6/30/12 from Arena Enterprise Fund to General Fund.
11. Vote – Transfer $219,000 from Snow & Ice removal to fund various projects.
REPORTS (Sub/Committee, if any)
12. Transportation SC Report from May 8th
13. Misc. – Shane Graham-Bevis, Lowell, MA address the City Council regarding Bullying.
14. C. Kennedy – Req. the City Council approve the sewer tie-in for property located at 38 Fox Street in Dracut, MA.
15. C. Kennedy – Req. the City Mgr. provide the City Council with anticipated date for second Municipal Lien Auction.