@ 6PM: Personnel Subcommittee Meeting
Agenda: To continue discussion on the Superintendent’s Search Process
*snow dates of Friday, February 4, 2011 or Tuesday, February 8, 2011 @6PM
Location: Room 144, Central Office
SALUTE TO FLAG:
SPECIAL ORDER OF BUSINESS:
1. Regular School Committee Meeting Minutes of January 5, 2011
2. Regular School Committee Meeting Minutes of January 19, 2011
PERMISSION TO ENTER:
MEMORIALS: (Committee as a Whole)
1. Dan Crowther, Lowell High School Senior.
2. Nathaniel Holscher, recent Lowell High School student.
3. George D. Kouloheras, Lowell School Committee member in which he served many terms from 1964 to 1997.
4. Francis Ventura, father of Maria Hannus, Lincoln School Special Education Teacher.
5. Margery B. Angst, mother of Nancy Weber, Math Resource Teacher at Moody, Washington and Pawtucketville Schools.
6. Charles H. “Chick” Loucraft Sr, member of a prominent family.
7. Linda O’Neil, Sullivan Middle School English Teacher.
8. Robert S. Warnick, father of Steve Warnick, Music teacher at the Stoklosa Middle School.
1. [by Alison Laraba]: To ask the Superintendent to provide a report to the committee regarding the current usage and state of textbooks in Lowell Public Schools. In general how many textbooks over 5, 10, 15 and 20 years old are being circulated in the district-how are we monitoring the condition of these textbooks, what is a reasonable lifespan of a textbook and, given the extreme budget constraints we have faced and continue to face, how are we approaching the replacement of these textbooks when they exceed their “lifespan” or are damaged beyond practical use?
2. [by Alison Laraba]: To have the Superintendent direct the recording secretary of regular, executive and subcommittee meetings to transcribe and electronically distribute rough draft version of minutes to all School Committee members within Five Business Days. This is to ensure that minutes are completed and distributed on a timely basis and to allow School Committee members time to review same for errors and/or omissions before the next scheduled meeting.
3. [by Jackie Doherty]: Request the Superintendent direct appropriate staff to provide information to the City’s Immigration Commission regarding the process for residents and their children to access educational services in the Lowell Public Schools.
1. Lowell High School Subcommittee: Approval of the Minutes of the Meeting of Wednesday, January 19, 2011 [Jackie Doherty, Chair]
2. Curriculum Subcommittee: Report and Approval of the Minutes of the Meeting of Tuesday, January 25, 2011 [Connie Martin, Chair]
3. Safety & Discipline Subcommittee: Report and Approval of the Minutes of the Meeting of Wednesday, January 26, 2011 [David Conway, Chairman]
4. Special Education/Student Support Services Subcommittee: Report and Approval of the Minutes of the Meeting of Wednesday, January 26, 2011 [Jackie Doherty, Chair]
REPORTS OF THE SUPERINTENDENT:
1. Lowell High Staff Stephen Gervais to travel with twenty-four students and four chaperones to Beijing and Shanghai, China during the 2013 April Vacation. There will be no cost to the school department budget. No school days will be missed and no substitute teachers are needed.
2. Overnight Field Trip Request: Colleen Winn and 40 Middlesex Community College’s TRIO Talent Search, Upward Bound and GEAR UP program LHS students, along with chaperones, to attend TRIO Day 2011 in Warwick, Rhode Island on Thursday, February 24th and Friday, February 25th, 2011. There is no cost to the School Department Budget. All expenses paid by TRIO funds.
3. Field Trip Request/Date Change Request Approved at the 9/1/10 School Committee Meeting: A date change is requested for a previously approved Lowell High School European field trip. The request is to change the dates from the February vacation to the April vacation [Friday, April 15, 2011 to Saturday, April 23, 2011]. There is no cost to the School Department budget. No school will be missed and no substitute teachers are needed.
Time Change: This time change will result in ½ students and ½ chaperones to leave school early on Friday, April 15, 2011. There will be no cost to the School Department budget and no substitute teachers are needed.
1. Letter dated January 27, 2011 to the Members of the Committee from Cathy Keane, Coordinator of the Molloy/LHS Alternative School and the Cardinal O’Connell McHugh Alternative School regarding the Molloy/LHS Alternative Program.
2. Lowell Telecommunication [Channel 10] Broadcast of School Committee Meetings: Live on the 1st and 3rd Wednesday of the Month; Thursdays @ 6PM; Saturday and Sundays @ 2PM; Tuesdays @ 10AM.
1. Lowell School Administrators Association respectfully request that the members donate twenty-two  sick days to Sherrie Vlahakis, Lowell High School Guidance Counselor.
2. The members of the United Teachers of Lowell hereby request to donate sick leave days to the following paraprofessional: Laura Lafleur, Sullivan School, 7 [seven] days.
GN Comment: If the School Committee REALLY wants to get their side of the contract Issue out, why are they NOT YET releasing the minutes of the Executive Sessions relating to the Supt. Contract??